Due to popular demand, I’m posting my recipe for making your own homemade foaming hand soap using castile soap and essential oils. For those who may be unfamiliar with castile soap, it is a type of soap made from natural oils, usually olive oil. It is considered a very “green” cleaner because it doesn’t utilize harsh chemicals, and is an effective surfactant to “lift away” dirt.
I prefer Dr. Bronner’s castile soap because it’s readily available at any health food store, and in fact, Costco started carrying the peppermint-scented option. Dr. Bronner’s prides themselves on providing a castile soap that is free of animal fat products, is high in vitamin E from natural sources (such as sunflower seeds), free of synthetics and fragrances, and highly concentrated to last a long time.
The following recipe utilizes doTERRA Eessential oils, namely the OnGuard Oil Blend. OnGuard is a natural immune-system boosting oil blend, containing essential oils from wild orange peel, clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary. I have these foaming hand soaps, infused with OnGuard, all around the house. They are naturally disinfecting, helpful to the body’s immune system, and gentle on everyone’s skin.
- – I re-use my empty foaming hand wash dispenser which I had purchased in the past from doTERRA. These are excellent dispenser and create a nice rich, volumous foam.
- – Always put the water BEFORE the soap when making this handwash. If you put the soap first, the water will make it all bubble out when added afterwards.
What You Will Need:
- 2.5 Tbsp Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap (I used peppermint today)
- Distilled Water (amount varies, depending on foaming soap container size)
- doTERRA OnGuard Essential Oil (5-7 drops, depending on container size)
- 1/2 tsp doTERRA Fractioned Coconut Oil (this step is optional, if you want your soap to be more moisturizin)
1) Fill your foaming soap dispenser about 2/3 of the way full with the distilled water.
2) Add about 2.5 tablespoon of the castile soap to the water.
3) Add 5-7 drops of the OnGuard Essential Oil (or your desired essential oil).
4) OPTIONAL: Add 1/2 teaspoon of the fractionated coconut oil to the solution.
NOTE: If you have empty space left at the top, fill with more distilled water. Leave room for displaced volume when twisting container top on.
5) Twist on dispenser cap and swirl around to allow elements in solution to blend. Start using… ENJOY! Please comment below with your feedback and experiences!
BUY THESE OILS NOW